Moving on up…
Making the move from Primary school to Secondary school can be a difficult move for a young person to make, which is why we in Moyne College run a transition programme to help make that move a little bit easier for students and their parents.
Our programme; “Moving On Up” involves the following initiatives that will help your son/daughter settle into life in Moyne College:
What we can offer…
- Transfer of Information – we will meet the primary schools prior to your son/daughter starting with us and identify what has worked well for your son/daughter in an educational setting.
- Parent Passport - we will hold an information session for parents about what to expect from Moyne College. As part of this session parents will complete a ‘Passport’ of information on their own son/daughter that will help the school to get to know the individual child better.
- Year Head/Class Tutor – where possible the year group team will meet with the students prior to them starting so that they can identify a familiar face
- Postcards – 1st year students will send a postcard to the incoming students welcoming them to Moyne College.
- Summer Camp – new entrants will have the opportunity to attend a summer camp at the end of June. This will give them the opportunity to meet other students who will also be members of 1st Year.
- Sampling the Timetable - all students will have the opportunity to sample all choice subjects before they make a final decision as to which subjects they will pursue as part of their Junior Cycle.
- Student Induction - Students will engage in activities that will help cover the following topics:
v Getting to know your classmates
v Getting to know your school
v Knowing my timetable
v Knowing my teachers
v Making friends
v Rules & routines
v Worries & concerns
v Getting organised
Helping your child on the way
To their Future….